Thursday, November 03, 2005

What is the purpose of this blog?

During my explorations of various religions and philosophies, I never found one that fit very well with my personal world view. Most of them have aspects that I find to be interesting, wise, or useful but I always balk at some of their basic assumptions. Over the past 40 years or so, I explored Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Existentialism, Transcendental Meditation, and several other isms. A long time ago I decided that I was an agnostic but that is more an defintion of what I do not know rather than a positive statement of what I believe. I have been curious about secular humanism for several years but had never taken the time to investigate it until recently. I think I have finally found a philosophy that comes as close to my personal world view as is possible without founding my own religion. The more I read about secular humanism, the more I feel like I have found a philosophical home.

This blog will be a record of my journey of exploration. It will have my personal thoughts and feelings and links to things that I find interesting. I encourage you to voice your reactions to what you find on this page. I enjoy a good argument more than most people so feel free to disagree. I have two requests. First, keep your comments reasonably polite. I will delete your post if you get too personal or obscene. Second, don't try to snow anyone with factoids. This is not an academic forum but you are more likely to make a believable case if you cite your sources. Opinion is great but it should be labelled as such.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home